Friday, March 4, 2011

Terry Fox



Last year, ESPN debuted a documentary series called “30 for 30”. It was a fabulous series with many great films. Personally, I thought Two Escobars was the best piece of filmmaking I saw last year. However, the 30 for 30 documentary that touched me the most was Into the Wind, which is the story of Terry Fox.



While watching Into the Wind, I felt so small. The grit, determination, and bravery Terry showed in his “Marathon of Hope” is something that I couldn’t even relate to. By the film’s end, I had tears streaming down my face.


How could someone that amazing be taken from the world at such a young age?


I often joke about my heroes being fictional movie characters, famous athletes, or pop culture icons. I honestly shouldn’t do that. Terry Fox is a hero.




“I don’t feel that this is unfair. That’s the thing about cancer. I’m not the only one, it happens all the time to people. I’m not special. This just intensifies what I did. It gives it more meaning. It’ll inspire more people. I just wish people would realize that anything’s possible if you try; dreams are made possible if you try." –Terry Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment